AMI – African Management Initiative (“AMI”), the provider of online educational and social learning services aimed at companies in various African countries, respects the privacy rights of individuals and is committed to handling Personal Data responsibly, in accordance with applicable law and this Policy.
In this Policy, “Personal Data” means information which relates to an individual and which identifies that individual, either directly or indirectly (together with other information that is reasonably likely to come into AMI’s possession), such as your name, email address or membership details.
Processing Personal Data
AMI observes the following principles when processing Personal Data:
- Fairness: AMI will process Personal Data fairly and lawfully.
AMI will process Personal Data for the following purposes:
- Where necessary for the provision of AMI’s services to you or otherwise for the performance of a legal relationship between AMI and you (such as to administer your membership or provide support).
- Where necessary for complying with an obligation imposed on AMI by applicable law.
- Where AMI has a legitimate interest that, on balance, justifies the processing (such as to improve the quality of AMI’s services).
- For other purposes (such as providing notifications on course progress, messages, or other relevant notifications to you), you can opt out of these notifications in your personal settings.
AMI will also compile aggregate statistics regarding the use of the Site and AMI’s services, studying the impact of AMI’s services and platform optimisation.
- Proportionality: AMI will limit the processing of Personal Data to that which is adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purposes for which AMI collects and uses it.
Sources of Personal Data
In order to benefit from AMI services, you will need to register on the Site and create a profile. Registration on the Site requires the provision of such Personal Data as user name, first and last name and email address. You can further voluntarily choose to provide additional Personal Data, such as your education, work experience, photo, accomplishments on the Site, etc. As part of your registration, you decide whether to make your expanded profile available to other users of the Site. As you use AMI online educational and social learning services, AMI will collect Personal Data regarding your subscriptions, membership details, courses completed, competency valuations and other activities on the Site.
The principal source of Personal Data is you. AMI does not receive Personal Data from third party sources, except where you voluntarily decide to create your profile using your Facebook, LinkedIn or Google plus account (in which case your social profile data will be imported from these accounts).
Sharing and/or Transferring Personal Data
AMI may share or transfer Personal Data in the following circumstances:
- Like many organizations, we use third-party suppliers (such as data center operators) to collect, use and otherwise process Personal Data on our behalf. Our practice is to require such third parties to handle Personal Data in accordance with AMI’s privacy and security policies and applicable law.
- Personal Data will only be shared for a third-party research purposes with the consent of the affected individuals.
Some of these recipients could be located in foreign countries, both within and outside the European Union (EU). Some of these countries do not have specific data protection laws and so may provide less legal protection for your Personal Data. In these instances, AMI will process your Personal Data in the manner described by this Policy and in accordance with applicable law.
Sensitive Personal Data
As a general rule, AMI does not collect “Sensitive Personal Data” through the Site. “Sensitive Personal Data” means Personal Data concerning racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade-union membership, sex life, health or medical records and, if permitted by applicable law, criminal records. By volunteering unsolicited sensitive Personal Data to us (e.g., by submitting your full profile or pictures online), you expressly consent to your Personal Data being used as described in this Policy.
Data Security and Integrity
AMI uses various technological and procedural security measures in order to protect the Personal Data that we collect, use or transfer from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction. However, you should be aware that, due to the open and unsecured character of the Internet, AMI cannot be responsible for the security of transmissions of the Personal Data over the Internet.
Accessing, Correcting, Updating and Deleting Personal Data
If you would like to request a copy of your Personal Data, then please send an email together with a proof of your identity (such as passport or identity card) to email@example.com. Also, if you consider your Personal Data to be incorrect or wish to have it deleted, then please send an email together with a proof of your identity (such as passport or identity card) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notification of Changes to this Policy
This Policy was last updated on 28th June, 2014. AMI will inform you of updates to this Policy by contacting you or by posting updates on its Site.
Effective Date: July 7, 2014